Today, January 18th, 2012 has been a history-making day on protest against two bill going through both American legislation and Senate. Magnae Famae has taken a stand on this bill, but it’s owning organization, Tripletech Ideas has not made clear it’s position on these bills.
So, Tripletech Ideas Public Relations has put together our official position on SOPA and PIPA, below.
THE OFFICIAL POSITION OF TRIPLETECH IDEAS ON SOPA/PIPA
1) Tripletech Ideas is an unregistered Canadian not-for-profit organization.
2) We, as a not-for-profit organization feel that SOPA and PIPA will “ruin the internet as we know it worldwide.”
3) We feel that the World Wide Web (WWW hereafter) is not owned by any organization, or Government but is all owned by the content creators and by the consumers. The consumers meaning the people who use the WWW are all part-owners of the WWW. We feel that every person has a say in what Governments do to the WWW. Be it only in their own country or worldwide. Therefore, we feel that in order for this bill to pass Governement a majority of American citizens must be OK with this bill passing.
4) These bills will ruin the WWW, Tripletech Ideas Projects like the popular Magnae Famae and yourfaq, technically violate copyright laws almost every week. So do many other websites like CNET, CBC, The Verge etc. This would almost definitely cause lawsuits (which we can’t afford) and also cause our projects to be ‘blacked out’.
5) Acording to our Annual Reports the majority of our views come from America. We would lose a huge percent of our views if we are ‘blacked out’. It already costs us money to operate all of these projects. If we lose our biggest source of views, we almost certainly cannot continue. This would be the same for many other organizations and companies like Facebook, Twitter etc.
Conclusion) If these bills were to pass, we almost certainly would begin losing even more money then we already are. We would not be able to continue. Our position on SOPA/PIPA is opposing. We 100% oppose SOPA and PIPA.
You can learn more about SOPA and PIPA here.